Intern with Kezia
Kezia offers a paid internship post in her office for three months, broadly every three months. The placements are structured to ensure that interns learn a broad range of valuable skills for the working world and while the structures are flexible, will follow a pattern similar to that laid out below.
Read on to find out more about this great opportunity. If you’d like to apply, send a CV and covering note to [email protected] by the deadlines detailed below.
|Week 1||Tour of Parliament and Key Forms filled in|
|Week 2||Collect Parliament pass. Diary and Business Bulletin training|
|Week 3||Intro to SPICE (Scottish Parliament Information Centre)PQ & Motion drafting|
|Week 4||Draft and establish a monitoring system for an FOI|
|Week 5||Roving Surgeries|
|Week 6||Learn the basics of Casework|
|Week 7||Attend and minute a Cross Party Group|
|Week 8||Learn basics of and draft a press release|
|Week 9||Understanding website structure and learn to update.|
|Week 10||Attend a meeting with MSP and action an outcome|
|Week 11||Committee/Shadow Cabinet work|
|Week 12||Evaluation and close down.|
At the end of 3 months – an intern will be able to demonstrate experience of.
- Diary Management
- Parliamentary Business/Correspondence
- PQ and Motion drafting
- Primary Research & report writing
APPLICATION dates: tbc
IDEALLY SUITED TO: tbc
CVs accompanied by a covering note should be sent to [email protected] during this period.
Read this blog from Kez’s team covering how to make the best of your application.
The Small Print
- The theme of the post will change but the terms and conditions remain the same, interns will be expected to work 8 hours a week (over 1 or 2 days) paid at £7.80 an hour. At least one of the days worked should be a Parliament ‘business day’ (Tuesday – Thursday).
- Applications from individuals who have already undertaken internships with a politician or in a parliament are discouraged as the purpose of this Programme is to open up access to those individuals who may not otherwise have been in a position to intern for free.
- Naturally, there is no age restriction. The opportunity is just as relevant to people looking to change careers as to those in, or just coming out of the education system. You can read Testimonals from recent ‘graduates’ of the programme.
- Kezia is not directly involved in the recruitment process. She doesn’t shortlist or take part in the interview process. This work is undertaken by her team and you can read some tips from them on how to make the best of your application here.
- As each internship is themed, the composition of the interview panel changes each time but there is always an external figure involved in recruitment for the purpose of transparency, fairness and expertise. Thanks are given to The Poverty Alliance , the Co-operative Party , Save the Children , Citizens Advice Scotland, Zero Tolerance, The Scottish Youth Parliament, Movement for Change, the office of Ian Murray MP and the office of John Park MSP for their assistance with recruitment so far.